The Sulinama Foundation was established in 2001 in Ambon, Maluku. It aims to build the capacity of communities, individuals and institutions by providing training and facilities for them in the field of practical vocational skills and non-formal education based on mother tongue. The Sulinama Foundation partners with various parts of society, social organizations, and governments in carrying out these development efforts.
Program focus: Mother tongue based multilingual education
INOVASI and the Sulinama Foundation’s program which was implemented in 9 schools is two fold: 1) to improve early grade teachers’ skills in teaching literacy basic skills introducing scaffolding, i.e. phonemic and alphabetical awareness, vocabulary, fluency and reading comprehension; 2) to develop early graders’ capacity in reading and writing using leveled decodable reading books in mother tongue in Sumba Timur. Some activities of the proposed program include:
- Training of teachers initially over four days on basic concepts of literacy and phonemic awareness, then through the teachers working groups (KKG) once a month on the following month’s materials.
- Writing of leveled decodable books in mother tongue
- Printing of leveled decodable books in bahasa Indonesia.
Location: East Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara
Duration: 12 September 2018 until 30 November 2019
- Increased students’ basic literacy skills
- Improved teachers’ teaching practices
- Increased parental involvement in education